Embajada de Australia

COVID19 FAQ: Consular, Passport & Notarial Services


Consular, Passport & Notarial Services



How do I subscribe to DFAT’s list of Australians overseas affected by COVID19 wanting to return?

·       If you have not registered with DFAT and wish to return to Australia, please register using the following URL https://covid19.dfat.gov.au/citizeninformation/s/

·       Please keep in mind that registering does not guarantee a seat on a flight returning to Australia. In the event of a facilitated flight, we use the list to share the information to those subscribed.



What is the situation about flights to return to Australia?

·       Presently, Qantas and Latam are not operating direct flights from South America to Australia. However, commercial flights through the US and the Middle East are in place.  From the US, airlines such as American Airlines, Delta and United Airlines fly from California to Sydney. Qatar Airways connects Sao Paulo, Brazil with Sydney via London-Doha.

·       From Chile, there are flights to the US and Brazil. From Ecuador, there are flights to the US but not to Brazil.

·       Though at present there are no plans for further facilitated direct flights from South America, consider subscribing to DFAT’s list, as flights may occur with little notice.

·       NOTE: The UK requires travellers from certain countries who are not on its travel corridor list to self-isolate on entry into the UK for 14 days. If you are travelling through the UK, refer to this link for more information: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-travel-corridors



When are the repatriation humanitarian flights occurring?

·       The number of flights is subject to the amount of quarantine capacity provided by states and territories. There is currently large demand from Australians stranded overseas to return. The Government continues to work with airlines and other key partners on planning for additional facilitated commercial flights to countries where vulnerable Australians have told us they wish to return. Though at present there are no plans for further facilitated direct flights from South America, consider subscribing to DFAT’s list, as flights may occur with little notice.



Which are the quarantine conditions in Australia?

·       Individual states and territories have introduced their own quarantine arrangements and costs. Most states are offering payment plans, fee reductions and/or fee waivers for those experiencing financial hardship. You may have to contribute to the cost of quarantine.


o   NSW: https://www.nsw.gov.au/…/what-you-can-and-cant-d…/quarantine

o   QLD: https://www.qld.gov.au/…/coronavirus-covid-19/pr…/quarantine

o   WA: https://www.wa.gov.au/…/depa…/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-wa

o   VIC: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/information-overseas-travellers…

o   NT: https://coronavirus.nt.gov.au/sta…/quarantine/quarantine-fee

o   SA: https://www.covid-19.sa.gov.au/restric…/travel-restrictions…

o   ACT: https://www.covid19.act.gov.au/…/quarantine-information-for…

o   TAS: https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/keeping-yourself-…/quarantine


·       Check out our website for general COVID-19 information for Australian travellers. www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19-australian-travellers



I am experiencing financial hardship due to COVID19 travel restrictions, what can I do?


·       You may consider exploring the following options of financial support for Australians overseas:


o   COVID19 Government Loan: If you are Australian citizen, 18 years old (or older), and unable to return to Australia due to COVID-19 restrictions, you may be eligible to access financial support from the government in the form of a loan. For information and application for this loan, visit Smartraveller’s COVID-19: Overseas financial assistance.


o   If you already receive and Australian government payment, you may contact Services Australia via email ([email protected]), and phone (+61 3 6222 3455) during business hours of 0800 to 1700 AEST (once connected with a service officer, you can request a call back).


o   If you intend to access your superannuation funds, instructions are available through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Withdrawing-and-using-your-super/COVID-19-early-release-of-super/. You can also visit MyGov.



How do I renew/obtain my Australian passport?

·       Interview appointments are requested by emailing [email protected], and are only taking place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am to 12.30pm.

·       To request the appointment, you need to gather all relevant supporting documents. Check “Getting a passport: How it works”, and fees.



Which notarial services are provided by the Embassy?

·       Appointments for notarial services are requested by emailing [email protected], and only take place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am to 12.30pm.

·       Our services include: Apostille original official Australian documents; certify copies of Australian documents (or documents to be used in Australia); and witness the signature of documents to be used in Australia.




Should you have a consular emergency please call the Australian Government’s 24-hour Consular Emergency Centre on 1300 555 135 within Australia (local call cost), or the +61 2 6261 3305 from outside Australia, SMS at +61 421 269 080.


Please visit the Services for Australians Overseas section for more information and Smartraveller, the Australian Government\'s travel advisory and consular information service for travel advisories and information to assist you while travelling overseas.


Personal information provided to the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is protected by law, including the Privacy Act 1988. We may collect, use and disclose your personal information, including to overseas recipients where we reasonably believe it is necessary, to provide you with consular assistance. Important information about the privacy of your personal information is contained in our Consular Privacy Collection Statement, which you should read and understand.  Copies of the Statement are available at https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/corporate/privacy/Pages/privacy or by requesting a copy from the Department.